Thursday, October 6, 2011

Satay chicken not quite radioactive

I really admire those bloggers who regularly post interesting stuff that makes you miss them when they go AWOL for a while. This is particularly because, occasionally, little streams of apathy blow invisibly across my  keyboard, and to even think of something to write about becomes a headache of massive proportions.

So that's when you write about how hard it is to find something to write about. Rather than bore you with the details, how about we jump straight into a recipe? Sounds good.
This is a rather easy and delicious satay chicken that's perfect warm as it is cold. And because I like things colourful, the fluoro yellow hue is just the thing for brightening a dull day.

Birthday update. Thanks for all the good wishes for my birthday a few days ago. Some of the food-related gifts I got: dinner at Claude's, lunch at Chat Thai, lunch at Aria ('Let's do Lunch'), the new Bill Granger Asian cookbook, wooden pig-shaped chopping board , 'Keep calm' cake tin (I actually bought some of these for myself, but I'm worth it!). No food processor or ice cream maker, but I am super happy regardless (another year older notwithstanding).

Chicken Satay
serves 4

Ingredients
1 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tblsp peanut butter
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
100ml coconut cream
1/2 tsp salt
2 spring (green) onions, chopped
6 chicken thigh fillets
steamed rice, to serve

Method
1. For the marinate: Put the ginger, garlic, lime juice and zest, peanut butter, turmeric, cumin, coconut cream and salt into a food processor and mix until smooth. Add the spring onion to the mixture.
2. Put the chicken into a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
3. Heat oven to 190C/375F. Line a large baking tray with foil and lightly spray with oil. Drain the chicken pieces and spread over the trays. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The coating should be slightly charred; cover with foil if it is darkening too much.
4. Serve chicken warm, with rice.

Ingredients, including spices and peanut butter, coconut cream, green onions and lime.

Easy marinade: just whizz the ingredients together then add to the chicken pieces.

The slightly burned, crispy bits are particularly good.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm yes, give me some of the crispy bits. Do post a photo of your piggy chopping board too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words nessessary for such a bright and beautiful dish! Satay is one of my favourite meals. Thanks for brightening my day with this post and I am glad you had a fantastic birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss your posts when you're gone! No really, I love coming here and seeing what you've conjured up.

    This lovely dish is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a vibrant dish and i hear you about having nothing to say. just get right into the recipe is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy (belated) Birthday, all the way from Yosemite Nat Park! Sitting infront of the fire waiting to check into the hotel and reading this delicious post is making me HUNGRY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss you when you don't post for a while! You always make me smile...especially when you cook with peanut butter. I could kiss you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss SATAY! Used to have satay noodles very often..sighs..
    The chicken looks really flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy, my mouth is watering. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We may have never met each other, but I certainly miss your blog when you take a break from posting! Your pictures are always beautiful and impeccably "staged" (as you would stage a home for sale). And, even though I'm a vegetarian, I find all of your recipes inspiring. With small modifications, I've made many of them too! Please keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luuuurve the crispy bits! Satay is one of my faves - def need to try this recipe.
    Happy birthday :) Love the sound of your chopping board lol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin