Sunday, March 28, 2010

Adriano Zumbo Winter 2010 Phoenix

Very excited I was this morning as I picked up a healthy breakfast of hot cross buns and pastries from Adriano Zumbo Patissier.  For in the glass case was a new cake.

Charles from the shop said it had only been invented 2 days ago, and he called it Phoenix.  On closer inspection, the cake looks slightly familiar, as are the flavours - raspberry biscuit with white chocolate creme.  Charles also said something about capsicum and chilli, but by this point I was pretty excited and didn't take it all in.  That's chilli powder on the top, though.  And silver leaf.
I haven't eaten this cake yet as I wanted to share it with you first. I'll let you know how it goes.
By the way, while waiting for the rest of the new season's cakes to arrive, there is a 'transition' range of cakes at Zumbo, consisting of lots of old favourites including
Marry Me Ed, Dr Apple, Scuro and Tanzanie.  It's a wonderful opportunity to try them if you haven't already. 

====================================================

Update: Monday ('the day after')

Okay, so I've now eaten the Phoenix
On first taste, the vanilla coating reminded me of something, and, after much scouring of the dark, dim recesses of my memory (and this blog archive), it's this (the top of the V from Zumbo's Winter 2009 collection).
Inside the cake is a lovely red coloured log of jelly that is made of capsicum.  Sorry, I'd just eaten dinner, so I wasn't too keen on its antipasto flavour for dessert.
The rest of the cake was alright, and the biscuit base was a lot like a compacted friand, with raspberry bits.
So, Phoenix (or whatever it ends up being called) was above-average - not a raving success, but not bad, either.
Thank you and good night!

===========================================================

UpdateMay 2010 - Winter 2010 range has been launched.

For more on the Adriano Zumbo Winter 2010 range, click here.

And wouldn't you know it, the 'Phoenix' is nowhere to be seen!

11 comments:

  1. How sweet of you to let us look at this beauty before leaping upon it with a fork and an open mouth.

    I love your idea of a healthy breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always excited to hear about his new inventions! And, of course, your speedy previews =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay that's it - am going up the road now for a bit of that! Hope you didn't finish it all Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. /cry

    I was supposed to be going to Adriano Zumbo's this morning for the first time and my sister cancelled on me. I think I might have to go by myself during the week because I can't wait any longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Scuro in the fridge waiting to be eaten. I was very tempted by the Pheonix but decided against it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so that's what it is! I was there on Saturday and was curious what this was. Didn't have a tag on it so I asked the guy what was in it and the white chocolate sold it for me but when I heard capsicum aswell I was intrigued! It was definately tastebud tantalising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your blog should be renamed as the Encyclopedia of Zumbo cakes :D Nice one, and thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a bit of spice with sweets-I hope it's lovely and that you enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty cake - let us know how good it was :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The suspense is killing me! How is it? :) I can't wait for the new range of cakes to come in. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Conor - you need sugar for breakfast because it gives you energy for the day :o)

    hi mlle delicieuse - you're welcome!

    hi Trissa - of course I finished it! Actually, I shared, but I had the bigger piece...

    hi BuBbles - oh, I weep with you! Hope you got to Zumbo eventually.

    hi Mark @ Cafe Campana - I adore the Scuro! I love the choc layers so much.

    hi Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook!) - did you get any cakes? I'm not too sure about the capsicum jelly though the rest of it was ok.

    hi foodwink - I'll check if that name's been registered, hehehe!

    hi Stella - you're right, sweet and spice go well together.

    hi Anita - it was good. Very vanilla and ... capsicum!

    hi Phuoc'n Delicious - I think the new cakes are out in May. Counting the days...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin