Saturday, February 28, 2009

Red Roll Rocks!

I work in the city, but I do not consider myself an office drone. I want to save money (who doesn’t, in the current economic times?), but I never bring lunch from home. So, after seeing FFichiban’s newsflash that Hong Ha bakery had opened a branch in the CBD (known as Red Roll), I made it my mission to seek it out. Part of the reason was the reported great value; the main reason was Pork Rolls!

And the hype was right! The rolls at Hong Ha/Red Roll are fresh baked crusty bread (hence the need to eat over a garbage bin, lest the cleaners complaining of crumbs around your chair). The meat is lusciously soft and moist. The carrots are lightly pickled. It’s smothered in a special creamy sauce. And they make them to order.


I got two on Friday – a meatball with chilli for bf, and a pork roll for me. Bf said it was the best meatball roll he’d ever had. Considering he usually goes for Subway, it’s probably not a brilliant recommendation, but I’ll take his word for it.


My rather large pork roll drew envious stares and comments from my colleagues when I ate it at my desk. And at $6.50 per roll, it’s worth it. They also sell rice paper rolls which I’ll try next time, maybe with a chicken roll?

Red Roll is in the Wintergarden food court, 1 O’Connell St, Sydney.

5 comments:

  1. OOoh yayy yummm ^^! Mmmm I want a meatball one now haha haven't had in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! Wish I worked nearby, though if I did I think I would have a Banh Mi overload!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi FFichiban - thanks for the recommendation; you deserve another one.

    hi lili - this was my 2nd pork roll in as many weeks - you can never have too many, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to this place like three times a week haha. I love the rice paper rolls but haven't actually tried the "rolls"

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Lisa - I'm trying to limit myself to once a week. And the pork rolls really are the best of the bread rolls. I've tried the beef rice paper roll as well. Which is your fave?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin