Saturday, January 31, 2009

I'm a dedicated follower of...Nigella


For the last few months, I’ve been rushing home to watch Nigella Express, which has been showing on Wednesday nights. There you’ll find me, with the accompanying cookbook on my knee, following the recipes as Nigella Lawson swans about her busy daily life – taking the kids to school, meeting her publisher, shopping at the deli, having girlfriends over for dinner…
That time of day is busy for me, too, what with having to leave work early to catch the show, rushing to the supermarket for groceries beforehand, and dishing up Fancy Feast Royale (garnished with Optimum dry mix) for the demanding Tabitha cat’s evening meal. OK, my life’s not quite so glam as Nigella’s.

Thank goodness the DVD of the series is out next week, I don’t know how long I can keep this up.

Anyway, the recipes from the book/show focus on speediness, effortlessness and simplicity – my favourite things when it comes to cooking. This Buttermilk Roast Chicken is super easy to make. In fact, I would have done it for my picnic that wasn’t, except that I’d already prepared the picnic food when the episode aired!

Buttermilk Roast Chicken

Serves 6

Ingredients

12 chicken drumsticks (approx. 1.25kg)
500ml buttermilk
60ml vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, bruised and skins removed
1 tbls crushed peppercorns
1 ½ tsp table salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbls maple syrup

Method

Place all ingredients into a large sealable freezer bag.

Squish everything around to mix the marinade and coat the chicken.

Leave the chicken in the bag in the fridge, ideally overnight. Or leave out of the fridge for at least 30 mins and no more than 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 220 deg C. Take the chicken pieces out of the bag and drain off excess marinade. Arrange in roasting tin lined with foil.

Drizzle 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over the chicken and roast in oven for about 30-45 minutes, until brown and cooked through.

Recipe adapted from Nigella Express


You can eat these straight away or cool them and munch while watching the next episode of Nigella Express.

3 comments:

  1. They look great-however it's funny that I don't recall seeing this recipe at all but I always think that whenever I see the shows lol. Have you tried her Southern Fried Chicken in Nigella Bites? That's fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that perfectly roasted look mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Lorraine - there are so many fab recipes, aren't there? Fried chicken is next on the list!

    hi FFichiban - buttermilk + maple syrup = lovely roasted bits!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin